Last week, Paul and I along with a couple our kids went down to the city (OKC) for dinner and movie night. We chose Kitchen 423 for our supper and they did not disappoint. I ordered Field Bean Soup and the Harvest Market which was made up of three of their signature side dishes. I enjoyed Crispy Cauliflower with Smoked Cheddar Fondue, Roasted Beet Salad, and Roasted Sweet Potato with Bacon, Goat Cheese, and Burnt Honey. All I can say is yum. We finished with Buttermilk Pie. It was so good I made it again at home for a gathering of friends. It is one of the easiest pies you can make. Five minutes to oven. Creamy and sweet, it has a little crust on top that reminds you a little of Crème Brulee. Serve with a little whipped cream for additional goodness.
• 3 eggs
• 1 ½ cup sugar
• ½ cup butter melted and cooled
• 3 tablespoons flour
• 1 cup of buttermilk
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 tablespoon lemon zest
• Pinch of salt
• 1 9-inch deep-dish pie crust, unbaked
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Melt butter and cool.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar.
4. Whisk in flour, buttermilk, lemon juice, vanilla, lemon zest, ground nutmeg, and salt.
5. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake an additional 40-45 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and cool completely. Store in refrigerator.
Cut my pie into four pieces. I don’t think I could eat eight.